If you’re experiencing the frustrating issue of WhatsApp calls not ringing when phone is locked, You could miss important calls and messages without realizing it. Thankfully, there are 5 easy ways to fix this issue on both iPhone and Android devices.
Check Do Not Disturb Settings
The most common reason your WhatsApp calls not ringing when phone is locked is that you have Do Not Disturb enabled. This mode silences all notifications when the screen is off.
To check your Do Not Disturb settings:
- Open Settings > Do Not Disturb.
- Ensure Scheduled is disabled or set to only certain hours you want muted.
- Toggle off Silence Always under Do Not Disturb.
- Open Settings > Sound & notification > Do not disturb.
- If Turn on automatically or Schedules is enabled, disable or adjust as needed.
- Choose No exceptions under Restrict notifications.
With Do Not Disturb disabled for your locked phone, WhatsApp should now ring on incoming calls.
Customize Notifications in WhatsApp
You can also customize WhatsApp’s notifications specifically on iOS and Android. This overrides your general Do Not Disturb settings.
- Open WhatsApp > Settings > Notifications.
- Toggle off Do Not Disturb to always show notifications.
- Alternatively, select From to only allow notifications from certain contacts.
- Open WhatsApp > More options (3 dots) > Settings > Notifications.
- Tap Message notifications and enable popup, sound, and vibrate as desired.
- Toggle off Do not disturb to override that status in WhatsApp.
Configure notifications however works best for you. Just be sure sounds and popups are enabled for calls.
Check App Notification Settings
The sound and popup settings for WhatsApp calls could also be disabled at the app level. Be sure WhatsApp has permission to display notifications:
- Go to Settings > Notifications > WhatsApp.
- Confirm Allow Notifications is enabled.
- Choose notification style and sounds as desired.
- Open Settings > Apps & notifications > WhatsApp.
- Tap Notifications and enable Allow notifications.
- Tap Advanced > Sound and select your desired ringtone.
With custom notifications set up, WhatsApp calls should now play a sound when your phone is locked.
Update the WhatsApp App
If your notifications are configured correctly but calls still don’t ring, an app bug could be the issue. Try updating WhatsApp to the latest version.
- Go to the App Store.
- Tap your profile icon in the top right.
- Pull down to refresh and check for any WhatsApp updates.
- Open the Play Store app.
- Tap the hamburger menu in the top left.
- Choose My Apps & Games > Updates.
- Update WhatsApp if available.
The latest update may fix any bugs related to notifications not working properly.
Restart Your Phone
As a last resort, try restarting your iPhone or Android phone. This will clear out any glitches and ensure all settings reset properly.
- On iPhone – Hold down the Side button and either Volume button until the power off slider appears.
- On Android – Hold down the Power button until the power off menu pops up.
Once restarted, check if your WhatsApp calls now ring when locked. Calls should come through as expected.
Check For Blocked Contacts
If calls from certain people don’t ring, you may have blocked their number in WhatsApp. Check your blocked contacts list:
- Open WhatsApp > Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked > Unblock next to any contacts.
- Open WhatsApp > More options > Settings > Account > Privacy > Blocked contacts.
- Tap next to any contact to unblock them.
This ensures you can receive calls from those previously blocked numbers.
Allow WhatsApp Through Do Not Disturb
If nothing else has worked, your phone may be silencing WhatsApp calls specifically when locked. You can allow exceptions for important contacts.
- Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb.
- Tap Silence Always and choose Allow Calls From.
- Select your desired WhatsApp contacts.
- Open Settings > Sound & notification > Do not disturb > Calls.
- Choose Allow calls from All contacts or Starred contacts only.
With this enabled, your selected WhatsApp contacts will still ring even when your overall phone is in Do Not Disturb mode.
Check Connection Issues
Problems with your internet connection could also prevent WhatsApp calls from coming through properly.
First, make sure cellular data or WiFi is enabled on your phone. Then in WhatsApp:
- Go to Settings > Account > Data Usage.
- Turn on Use less data for calls.
- Open WhatsApp > More options > Settings > Storage and data.
- Enable Low data usage.
This optimizes WhatsApp’s data usage which could improve call connectivity.
Try making a WhatsApp call to test if your connection is now stable. If calls still don’t come through, reach out to your cell carrier and confirm you don’t have any account restrictions blocking WhatsApp services.
Reset Network Settings
If you continue having connection issues, reset your network settings:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
- Open Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options.
- Choose Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth.
This wipes any problematic network settings that could be interfering with WhatsApp calls ringing properly.
If none of these solutions work, you may want to consider reinstalling the WhatsApp application on your device. This can help resolve any potential software glitches or corrupted files that might be causing the problem. Just remember to back up your chat history before uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp.
By following these steps, you should be able to fix the issue of WhatsApp Calls Not Ringing When Phone Is Locked. If the problem persists, it may be worth reaching out to WhatsApp support or seeking assistance from a technical expert for further troubleshooting.
FAQs About WhatsApp Calls Not Ringing When Phone Is Locked
Here are some frequently asked questions about dealing with this issue:
Why do my WhatsApp calls not ring when using headphones?
If you are listening to audio through headphones when a WhatsApp call comes in, it will not play the ringtone through the headphone speakers. You will usually only get a vibration notification unless you are listening to Spotify or another media app that allows audio ducking.
How do I make WhatsApp calls ring longer before going to voicemail?
Open WhatsApp > More Options > Settings > Calls and adjust the Number of seconds to ring option. This extends the ringing time before unanswered calls go to voicemail.
Can I get a ringtone for individual WhatsApp contacts?
On Android you can set custom ringtones and notification sounds for specific WhatsApp contacts. On iPhone this is not possible unless using a third-party app like ToneEnabler.
Why do my friends’ WhatsApp calls ring but mine don’t?
If your friends can call each other normally but your calls don’t ring on their phones, you may be blocked or they have Do Not Disturb exceptions enabled that don’t include you. Have them check their privacy settings.
How can I make a custom WhatsApp call ringtone?
On Android you can directly select a custom sound file for your WhatsApp call ringtone in the app settings. On iPhone you need to use GarageBand or other audio editing apps to create a ringtone file first before assigning it.